Salem Court House and Police Station
1912 Salem, Massachusetts
The building was listed in "Architecture In Salem" by Bryant F. Tolles, Jr published in 1983 and described as follows:
Designed by local architect John M. Gray (1887-1977) and built in 1913, the Salem Police Station is a good example of Colonial Revival style in public building design. Numerous elements in this symmetrical, rectangular, brick-and-stone-trim structure are inspired by Salem's magnificent Georgian Colonial and Federal architectural heritage. These include modillioned cornices, brick corner quoins, tall round-arched windows with keystones, splayed window lintel, a broad belt course, and matching front entrances with semicircular fanlights, doric pilasters, and flat canopies, supported by ornate baroque console brackets. A wooden balustrade encircled the flat roof. The building has traditionally accommodated the city marshall, the police department, and until 1977, and the First District Court of Essex County before it was removed to a new building on the comer of Washington and Church Streets.