Salem Old Town Hall Restoration
2010- 2016 Salem, Massachusetts
Since 1816, Salem has possessed one of the finest historic Old Town Halls in New England, a nearly 200 year old 2-1/2 story red brick front gabled Federal Style structure attributed to the Boston architect Charles Bulfinch. The building originally combined a Town Hall and Market House, and has been called Salem’s “Faneuil Hall.” Located at Derby Square, it was named for the site’s ownership by the family of Elias Hasket Derby, credited with opening New England’s fabled China Trade. While associated with Staley McDermet Associates, Inc., John Goff conducted original research on the evolution of Salem’s Old Town Hall, and helped inventory all the architectural components and their repair needs in 1996 for a Programmatic Study and Condition Assessment for Restoration. In 2008-9 he further supported Gordon College in preparing a National Trust “Partners in Preservation” grant application for restoring the building as a new performance center and Salem Museum. The grant was awarded and Gray Architects, Inc. and John Goff of Historic Preservation and Design developed restoration projects that addressed structural upgrades, replacement interior finishes, and modernizing of the heating and mechanical systems prior to a year 2010 Salem Museum opening. Further renovations funded by the City of Salem and Massachusetts Historical Commission included the restoration of all exterior windows in 2015.